DataEase 4 and 5 in the USA

Moderators: Phil Winkler, Graham Smith, Pete Tabord

DataEase 4 and 5 in the USA

Postby DavidAGray » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:24 pm

After well over a year of total silence, from out of nowhere, I have had two (count 'em!) inquiries about DataEase within the last week.

If anybody else is interested, I still support both DOS products, for as long as you can get a 32 bit operating system on which to run them. If my name doesn't ring a bell, ask around, and you'll learn that I've been working with DataEase for thirty (30!) years. I have to pinch myself, too, when I say that.
DavidAGray

Re: DataEase 4 and 5 in the USA

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:57 pm

It's good to have you and your wit and accumulated wisdom back here. I stopped dealing with DfD well over 10yrs ago and concentrated on DfW then on Ffenics. Phil was the DfD guru at PLM. But he's fully retired and I'm semi-retired (altho some times of the year I'm a lot less retired than I would care to be).

I'm not sure if he gets any requests for help with DfD anymore - I think I have maybe seen 2 in a years time and they were simple questions to answer. If anything comes up, I'll be sure to pass on your name.
Graham Smith
DataSmith, Delaware
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
"X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"
Graham Smith

Postby DavidAGray » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:51 am

I have just one client that I know is still using DFD, and another who was as recently as about two years ago. These two new inquiries came out of the blue, and my wife, Janet, suggested that I may as well advertise that I'm still working.

Over all, I've moved on to other topics, and I spend most of my time working on Windows systems programming, Windows Forms applications, SQL Server, and Web applications. Even when I was doing lots more DataEase for DOS, I wrote lots of other stuff that ran around it, fed data to it, and processed output form it, usually to feed it to something else.

The most recent client is a company out of New Jersey, who has worked in the past with both Phil Winkler and Bill Treloar, both of whom have moved on to other things. I have, too, though I'll still support it if I can, and they can pay.
DavidAGray

Postby earlwer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:26 am

DavidAGray wrote:I have just one client that I know is still using DFD.

I've got lots of clients still using DFD 4.53 and DFD 5.15

My EDI system is still in production and there are a few custom sites still running businesses.

One of the nicer features I developed was the ability to create PDF documents out of DataEase.
Invoices with letterheads, automatically emailed or faxed (using Python)...
earlwer

Return to Blatant Advertising